INSTITUTE OF ARCHAEOLOGY AND ETHNOGRAPHY, NAS RA
The Institute of Archaeology and Ethnography, NAS RA is a unique institution of interdisciplinary studies which realizes investigations in such disciplines as archaeology, ethnography, ethnology, epigraphy, folkloristics, ethnosociology, physical anthropology, archaeobiology. The scientific activities of the Institute are especially directed to archaeological, ethnographical and folkloristic fieldworks which continuously take place to make up and enrich the source basis of investigation of material and non-material cultural heritage of Armenia.
The Institute was established in 1959 and since this year, by the efforts of some generations of scientific personnel, were excavated, gathered, elaborated and published great quantities of materials towards the cultural heritage of the land. In establishment and organization of scientific works have greatly invested the directors of the Institute, among them Corresponding Member of NAS RA B. Arakelyan (1959-1988), Dr. G. Tiratsyan (1988-1993), Corresponding Member of NAS RA A. Kalantaryan (1993-2006), vice directors K. Melik-Pashayan (1959-1981) and Corresponding Member of NAS RA S. Harutiunyan (1992-2006). Also today the new government of the Institute (director Dr. P. Avetisyan and vice director Dr. G. Sargsyan, both since 2006), continuing former traditions, do essential works in elaboration and realization of scientific works, involving of new generation, organization of fieldworks and publications. The Institute has already acquired international reputation and collaborates with many scientific centres and colleagues abroad, particularly from Chicago, Cornell, Northwestern, Purdue, Connecticut, California and North Carolina Universities (USA), Eurasia Department of German Archaeological Institute, Curt-Engelhorn-Centre for Archaeometry in Mannheim, Universities of Tübingen and Halle, State Office for Heritage Management and Archaeology of Saxony-Anhalt (German Federation), University of Rome, Institute of Mycenaean and Aegean-Anatolian Studies, Rome (Italy), University of Haifa (Israel), University of Lyon, Maison de l’Orient Méditerranéen (France), University of Innsbruck (Austria).
In the scientific studies of the Institute are involved Departments of Early Archaeology (directed by Dr. R. Badalyan), Classical Archaeology (directed by Dr. M. Zardaryan), Medieval Archaeology (directed by Dr. H. Melkonyan), Epigraphy (directed by Dr. G. Sargsyan), Ethnography (directed by Dr. S. Hobosyan), Ethnology of Modernity (directed by Corresponding Member of NAS RA L. Abrahamyan), Ethnosociology (directed by Dr. L. Vardanyan), Theory and History of Armenian Folklore (directed by Corresponding Member of NAS RA S. Harutiunyan), Textology of Armenian Folklore (directed by Dr. T. Hairapetyan), Investigation of Diaspora (directed by Dr. R. Karapetyan) as well as Groups of Applied Ethnography (directed by Dr. H. Kharatyan), Investigation of Traditional Dance (directed by Dr. E. Petrosyan), Rescue Archaeology, Archaeobiology and Karashamb Cemetery Excavations (directed by Dr. P. Avetisyan) and Excavations and Investigations of Artashat (directed by Dr. Z. Khachatryan). Parts of the Institute are laboratories of Restoration and Cameral Works, Computer Works, the Archive and the Library.
The scientific personnel of the Institute consists of 120 persons, among them 2 are Corresponding Members of NAS RA, 10 Habilitation Dr.-s and 77 PhD-s.